Sperm is a male reproductive cell that lives in semen, which is released during ejaculation. Without examination in a laboratory, there is no way to assess the quality of sperm simply by looking at it. In Thailand there are still a lot of misunderstandings about sperm. Up to 25% of infertility cases are due to the male partner. So how do we assess the quality of sperm?
Table of Contents
Get to know ‘Semen Analysis’
Semen analysis involves looking at semen in the laboratory to look at the quantity of semen, the number of sperm, how well the sperm moves, and any abnormalities of the semen. This information can help diagnose the cause of male-factor infertility. Semen is collected in a sterile container prepared by the laboratory.
Who should consider semen analysis?
- A person who is overweight and/or who has a large waist
- A person with congenital problems with their reproductive organs
- A person experiencing problems with their endocrine system and hormones
- A person whose immune system attacks sperm
- A person who drinks alcohol and/or smokes cigarettes regularly
- A person who exercises excessively
Semen analysis test cost
At Beyond IVF, the cost of semen analysis is 1,500 baht. It examines volume, concentration, motility, morphology, viability, and the number of white and red blood cells. Results take 1-2 hours and a specialist interprets the results in every case.
Semen analysis test at Beyond IVF includes..
Semen analysis at Beyond IVF for the cost of 1,500 baht includes testing for:
- Semen volume, which must be equal to or more than 1.5 ml (>1.5 ml)
- Sperm concentration, which must be equal to or more than 15 million/ml (>15M/ml)
- Motility, which must be equal to or more than 40% (>40%)
- Morphology, which must be equal to or more than 4% (>4%)
- Viability, which must be more than 58%
- White blood cell (WBC) count in ejaculate, which should be no more than 1 million cells per milliliter
- Red blood cell (RBC), which should be less than 1 million cells per milliliter
Our semen analysis package does not include..
Semen analysis does not include additional hormone testing if the initial analysis reveals any abnormalities. There will be a fee for additional testing.
Semen analysis process (Step-by-step)
- Avoid ejaculating for 5-7 days before seeing the doctor.
- Wash your hands before collecting semen.
- Semen is collected in a specific collection room.
- Ejaculate directly into the provided container.
- Deliver the container to the laboratory immediately.
- Wait 1-2 hours for results.
Semen Analysis at Beyond IVF
At Beyond IVF we have a team of fertility specialists who can answer questions and provide recommendations. Semen analysis results, as well as any other fertility testing results, should be interpreted by a doctor specialized in treating infertility and not just an obstetrician-gynecologist.
A fertility expert is the best person to give you all the information that you need to know to make the appropriate decisions for your family.
In the case of an abnormal result, our doctor will recommend treatment options. Our semen collection room is disinfected after every use to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness and safety. Our team of scientists and nurses are highly experienced and well trained to support our clients.
Learn more about fertility treatment
Semen analysis is a simple procedure that doesn’t take very long. It provides all the information needed about the components of semen. Anyone interested in the quality of their semen can undergo the procedure or it can be used to help in family planning. Semen analysis should be done at a medical facility that meets international standards and that has specialists with experience and knowledge, and that uses the criteria of the World Health Organization (WHO).